Ragi mudde is a traditional dish from southern India that is made from ragi flour (also known as finger millet flour). Here is a basic recipe for making ragi mudde:
Ragi mudde Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 2 cups of water
- Salt to taste
Ragi mudde Recipe Instructions:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the ragi flour and salt together.
- Slowly add water to the flour mixture, stirring constantly to form a dough. The dough should be soft and pliable, but not sticky.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes to make it smooth.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a small ball.
- Place the ball of dough in a pot of boiling water and let it cook for a few minutes until it rises to the surface.
- Remove the mudde from the water and serve it with a curry or stew of your choice.
Note: The dough should be prepared and the mudde should be cooked just before you plan to serve them, else they tend to lose their texture.
You can also add some seasonings like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves to the dough for added flavor. For extra nutrition, you can add grated coconut or chopped vegetables to the dough before rolling it into balls.
Also, traditionally these mudde are made by hands, by gently rolling between palms and fingers to make smooth, round balls.
Ragi mudde Recipe Nutrition Facts
Ragi is a type of cereal grain that is high in nutrients and is a good source of protein, fiber, and minerals. Here are some of the nutrition facts for ragi mudde:
- Energy: 100-150 kcal per serving (depending on the size of the serving)
- Protein: 3-4 g per serving
- Carbohydrates: 20-25 g per serving
- Fiber: 1-2 g per serving
- Fat: 1-2 g per serving
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, and Phosphorus are the major minerals.
Ragi is also very good for the people who are diabetic, as it has the property to control the blood sugar level.
Keep in mind that these values may vary slightly depending on the recipe and how the ragi mudde is prepared. In addition to the nutritional benefits, Ragi mudde is also gluten-free and easy to digest.